Sep 20, 2008

'Why is patience so important?' 'Because it makes us pay attention'.

'Why is patience so important?' 'Because it makes us pay attention'.

Paulo Coelho - The witch of Portobello.

This is one thing that I think I have learned and been tested for in this Ramadhan month. There were many times I was about to blow my top, but I controlled myself. And there were many times that I did blow my top and suffered dire consequences which was my temporary break up with M. *shivers*

But the practice in patience not only acquired me the ability to do things better, it, like Coelho said, made me pay attention. With usual impulse I would just ignore the attempts of M to get back with me and possibly throw away the one that my heart beats for. What is love without trials and tribulations? and the patience to whither the storm?

Patience is a virtue and no other virtue better than this I would add.

When I am patient and I pay attention to what's really going on as opposed to what my crazy mind has conjured up, it really makes a whole lot of difference. When I am patient, I realize I listen to what is being said rather than what I want to hear. Acquiring patience is a tedious job and not for the faint of heart. It takes a lot of endurance.

Another thing I've learnt about patience is that I could easily steer away from causing things to be worst than they already are. Patience somewhat gives me the 3rd person viewpoint to my situation, minus emotions, minus feelings. Mind you I'm not overlooking these things as being important nor as something that should be absent of the human makeup, but just to look at things objectively, minus my personal judgment, such that I can think of a better way of how to handle it NOW and how it can benefit all those involved.

This was a very profound experience for me. Previously, I couldn't strike a balance between the two, it was always to extremities. Either I was giving in too much to the other person or I was just sucking the other person's very existence because I wanted to be right about what I was feeling, rather than be patient and focus about what I wanted to create, and have in the long run.

You gotta be what you want? You want love. You need to be loving. You want trust? Be trusting!

From my own perspective, I see patience as an act of love. An act of kindness as well.

Benefits of patience? Rome wasn't built in a day. If the architects had no patience in drawing out a proper blueprint for us God forbid the number of buildings that would fall to pieces. *blach*

In matters of the heart, patience plays a critical role in creating love between a couple. In addition to that there's also other people in your life that you need to have patience with. Not only your loved ones. But the closest one to you. Yourself.

Did you ever catch yourself beating yourself up because you did something wrong or you thought that you could've done it better? If we took time to reflect it was actually just a learning process and that we should be PATIENT with ourselves.

And all this was because I paid attention! Full price :)

It is said in the Quran that God is with those who are patient. Thank God for that. I believe He is with me every step of the way. :)

My prayer to all that may our decisions and actions be dictated with tons of patience and perserverence to get to our end result, to materializing our dreams.

Amin.

No comments:

WHAT I LIVE BY

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

~MARIANNE WILLIAMSON~