Aug 29, 2008

Arfah binti Arif's eulogy






At the death of my beloved mother, I've been looking for a way to have proper closure. I also wanted a way for my future people (husband and children) to know who she was.

It's not in habit that Muslims have eulogies, but I'm writing this so that people know what a great person she was.

I don't want to entertain thoughts about how she died anymore.

I want to share with you on how she lived.


Dedicated wife, mother, sister, and friend.

I can say that I am what I am because of her. I was allowed to live a free life. Liberated from the norms of the society that was Kota Kinabalu. I spoke my mind at times paying the price, but at the end it is a fruitful endeavour.

My body is overly nourished to a fault. She said that she did not want a small weakling as a baby. Hence the frame. I am left with a beautiful reminder of how I should treat my body as a temple.

Knowledge was a key strength as she said. Education was my passport to anything and everything I desired. The world is my oyster. The impact has left me wanting to educate the world for the better. An original thought is in creation.

Emotions should be felt wholeheartedly. The heart has the ability to build or break a person. But she empowered me to know that I am the master of my heart.

Don't be afraid to love. Not all men are a*sholes. Marriage is a gamble that is worth taking a risk. This has taught me that a meaningful life is one that is shared with someone special.

God. There is no God but He. Growing up she would make it a point for me to memorise the important surahs from Quran Al Karim. My cup runneth over.

This is my mother's eulogy. And I am her legacy.

No comments:

WHAT I LIVE BY

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

~MARIANNE WILLIAMSON~