Apr 12, 2008

The audition

My drama teacher got us to go for the audition to the play he was directing.

My heart dropped.

He was a renowned theatre director in his own right and here he was asking this rookie who had no inkling of what it took to become an actor to suddenly audition.

So I went through the grueling process of memorizing the lyrics to How could an Angel Break My Heart - Toni Braxton (because we were auditioning for Ismail-musical).

My breathing instructor offered free lessons on how to breathe and sing better.

So my girls and I went to his house and practiced.

It was a nightmare.

"Ari who the hell are you saving your voice for girl project! project!"

I was thinking. My God, can I possibly go any louder than this?

He taught me some breathing techniques to clear up my lungs and enhance my projection power.


I sound blasted like never before.


"You know before I could hit high notes and sing Mariah Carey's music. Now I'm very limited." I shared with Dominique (breathing instructor).

He said to me. "Ari, this happened when you were around 13. Someone told you that you should forget about acting and theatre and ever since then you lost your voice."

I started crying my eyes out. How on earth could he have known?!

"I'm psychic"

Duh.

My breathing instructor is so special :)


The audition?


We were made to dance like horny monkeys and sing like there was no tomorrow.



I have never been so scared and yet feel so alive at the same time.


No. I didn't get to be a part of the musical.


Joe, my drama teacher, who was part of the panel of judges said if I was serious about musical theatre I should take up vocal classes because I had a powerful voice but I keep getting off key. (LOL)

Why am I not surprised after having to dance like that chic from Flashdance.


I just suddenly realized a whole new world of possibilities opened to me.

I shall rise above this adversity and boss up.

One day, grammies, golden globes and oscars shall be mine! :)

I feel it in my hands already :)

and all because I had the balls to take up the challenge.

It's only just begun.

No comments:

WHAT I LIVE BY

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

~MARIANNE WILLIAMSON~