Sep 21, 2008

Superstitious minds

You crazy nut! You f-ing wanna die issit?! That's too much salt.

Sighs

Day in day out I've been putting too much salt in my food. I need a restraining order from the ocean :P Salt manufacturers would love me.

There's this old folks tale that if you put too much salt in your food that means that you're going to get married soon. I doubt that it will happen. If it does, just ask me when I'm due. :P (thanks Anna) Touch wood! I take it back!

Speaking of urban legends and folk lore, don't you guys ever tire from hearing all this superstitious malarkey? Whenever I bring this idea forth to M he always says to me, Baby that's all nonsense ok. Don't believe it. teehee..

There was this one time at band camp..LOL ok I'll be serious. I saw this friend of mine walking into his entrance with his back facing the door. "What on earth?" It was a weird sight to see. "They say if I walk like this it'll ward off evil." I was thinking to myself apparently it didn't ward off the crazies in your head. Here was this man in his early 30s still believing in superstition.

Here's another one. My nieces & nephews and I were having a very late supper and we were out of cili. Thank God for the cili tree in the garden. By the time we were done with it it was almost barren. I was about to pass the cili to Noury when my nephew Nasha shrieked. I thought he saw a burglar, ghost or some 4 eyed creature with its intestines hanging loose. "Aunty don't pass it directly to Noury! You guys will end up in a cat fight if you do! Put it in a bowl or something then give it to her."

My God! Where do you people get this?

I find it quite amusing as well. My dad would never hear of such superstitions although one day I caught him with his very own little tale. He didn't touch the deer meat that his friend gave him, while we were munching away he decided to share. "You know that back in the day people who practiced magic would sometimes turn themselves into deers?" I almost hurled. It could probably be someone's arm I was chewing on. Probably worst. Then logic hit me and I just laughed it away. I couldn't help but feel bad about being a momentary cannibal though. :P Sorry dad.

Now I always have this smart rhetort when someone tells me a superstition, especially my kids (nephews and nieces).

IF IT'S NOT IN THE QURAN I'M NOT BELIEVING IT!

But try say that to my elders and not get cili rubbed in your mouth! >.<

There's this one interesting belief that Pam and I came across. Apparently if you put Valerian leaves in your underwear it's supposed to heighten one's appeal. Really now? hmm..lol


"Daun apa tu Nong? Ada ka tu disini? Semalu ka tu?" (What kinda leaf is that nong? Do they have it here? Is that the semalu (Mimosa pudica L. <-- I couldn't find the layman term for it in english) leaf?

"No lah! I don't think so"

Come to think of it, if it was the semalu my bunions would have a very fun time dealing with the thorns. Ouch! No thanks.

The Valerian leaves could be like long distant cousins to that of the Ivy. Who knows man...who knows..

I guess that if we were to deal with such things with humour it would be alright as opposed to believing in it 100%. I find it like a restraint.

But I'm not making fun of those who do though. I'm just giving my 2 cents.

Here's some of the stuff I picked up.

So far,

To cure a cough: take a hair from the coughing person's head, put it between two slices of buttered bread, feed it to a dog, and say, "Eat well you hound, may you be sick and I be sound."

(SPCA will have a trip with this one)

A fish should always be eaten from the head toward the tail.

If a young girl catches a ladybug and then releases it, the direction in which it flies away will be the direction from which her future husband will come.

(Where are those dumb ladybugs when you need them...LOL)

Click here to read more.


*Sings* We're caught in a trap! I can't walk out..coz I believe in you too much baby! (LOL, sung in the tune of suspicious minds by Elvis Presley)

Well, each to his/her own I guess at the end of the day.

I hope you guys had as much fun reading this as I did writing it lol

No comments:

WHAT I LIVE BY

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

~MARIANNE WILLIAMSON~